Monday, June 2, 2008

A Poem for the baby

I'm usually pretty ridiculous. I know. I try to be witty and look at things from a slightly different perspective. But, every once in a while I get serious and do things that are a little more meaningful. Last week, I taught a mini lesson on Greek lyrical poetry to my sophomores. As my assessment for this quick unit, I had my kids try to write their own lyrical poem about someone or something that is important and personal to them. I decided, while they were writing, I would do it too. Here's what I came up with, a poem for the baby.

You May Forget to Remember
You may forget to remember,
But I loved you long before
I ever knew you.

When you’ve grown
And let go of the simple trappings of youth,
And put aside your childish things,
Hair bows and princess evening gowns,

You may forget to remember when you’re mad at me
Because I’ve had to say, “No.”
But I’ve loved you since before
You could draw breath,
And I’ll love you still long after I’m gone.

I don't really consider myself much of a poet, but sometimes I get touched.

5 comments:

benjiman miles said...

wow, very sweet. she won't know if she should cry or smile (probably both). i know i've said it before, but; i can't wait to have kids! it's always uplifting to listen to you and erika talk about mia.

Natalie said...

Beautiful! Very nice. You should frame it and put it in her room!

Anonymous said...

Natalie, we're already on it! I'm in search for the right sized frame and I'm going to print it out in a pretty font for her nursery:)

Erika

shelley said...

jerms is on a roll. thanks for keeping up with the blog. and thanks for making me cry (of course). if i hadn't, you would have thought you wrote it wrong. am i right, or am i right, or am i right? i'm right, right?!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Jerms...made me cry :)