Thursday, November 26, 2009

Welcome Singin' Diva

My labor experience again was awesome!!! I think in a lot of ways it was better actually. At 11:30pm Saturday night (Jeremy's birthday) I started timing contractions because I was getting a little uncomfortable earlier in the day. Nothing too bad though. So they were coming, but I knew we weren't "in labor." So the night goes on and around 1:15 am I wake up from a little nap watching TLC and feel like I maybe had gone to the bathroom...maybe my water breaking (sorry if that's TMI)! When I go and get freshened up it happens again so I call the midwife that's on-call. She wanted me to lay down for 30 minutes and then walk for 30 minutes to see if it happened again (another gush happens as we talk by the way). She also reminded me that the contractions could start to come really heavy if it was indeed my water. So not even 10 minutes after hanging up with her the contractions were coming 2-3 minutes a part, then 1-2 minutes. I went through this for an hour because she wanted me to call back in an hour. When I did call back she asked me to come on in. So at this point I'm going through some good contractions but didn't want a false alarm like with DD.

So once we get to the hospital the midwife checks me and I'm a 5/6 and it was my water!!! Yipee:) I know I'm not going home now. So to make a long story story...I got to Women's at 3:00am, to my room by 3:30am, epidural was in and working by 4:15am, and when I got checked at 5am I was 9 and a quarter!!! Oh my goodness!!! The Midwives switched out and the only reason I didn't start pushing sooner was because she was trying to discharge 3 other women. So when she finally got to me I started to push at 9:55am and SD was here at 10:35am.

I was very proud of myself. I could have totally stayed home for at least another hour or so but after being a week overdue I was excited to do something. It was an awesome experience and I can't wait to do it again, but I am going to enjoy the two that I have for a couple years this time...ha!

Side note: Isn't it funny how at the end of pregnancy you can't wait to be done, but as soon as labor starts and that baby is here you can't wait to do it again. Hilarious!!!

SD and the proud daddy:)
Weight 8lbs 12 oz
Length 20 in
Time 10:35 am



I love my girls!!!

4 comments:

Sawyers Family said...

Erika!
She is so beautiful! Glad to hear your labor story was a good one!

Holmes Home said...

Love it! You have a beautiful family! I'm just glad to be part of your family too!

andrea said...

Um...you're amazing. I can't say that when I finished labor I ever thought, "Let's do that again!" Ever. It took me a couple of years of slowly developing labor-amnesia before I was ready to even think about having another kid.

SO glad everything went so well. How's Mia doing as a big sis? I can't wait to meet Alexis!

Natalie said...

I can't wait to meet her!